Saturday, September 6, 2008

Spur of the Moment

Over Labor Day weekend Cody and I were planning on heading out to Lake Powell with some friends. We were supposed to leave early Saturday morning. On Friday we drove to Milford for Cody's sister Lacy's surprise 30th birthday party. Cody's parents were watching Rylee for us while we were going to the lake. Well, after surveying the weather for a couple days and being worried about rain, wind, cold and even safety, we decided that we would have more fun if we went to Southern California. We called our friends who were going to go to the lake with us, and while they though Southern Cal sounded like fun, they just weren't able to do it at this time.
David and Lacy were in though- Lacy had never been to California! I couldn't believe that.
Lacy and Kaydee after Lacy's party

The kids loved swinging in this tree! Rylee kept saying I'm a monkey...oooh oooh ahhh ahh... It was so cute!


At 11:30 Friday night, David and Lacy were finally packed and loaded (thanks to Cody's parents and sister Natalie for watching Rylee and all 4 of David and Lacy's kids, too!). We got to St. George at almost 1:00 Saturday morning, booked our motel, re-packed for the beach instead, and sneaked in a couple hours of sleep.

We got out of town about 7:00 a.m. Saturday and drove straight to San Diego to go to Sea World. We had a really fun time.
Waiting to watch the dolphins! It was really hot. We sat in the splash zone hoping to get cooled down. We picked the wrong section though, we hardly felt a drop. There was another section about 3 sections down though that got dumped on! The dolphins just kept drenching them. We were quite glad we hadn't sat there!

David and Lacy feeling how cold they keep the water for the beluga whales.

Cody and I in front of the flamingos

That night we caught the Shamu Rocks Show. They did a great job! My camera battery was dying so all the pics turned out pretty blurry. This is one of the better ones, but most of the cool tricks didn't turn out!

Cody contemplating revenge on the sting rays! (A few years ago we were at the beach and Cody was stung by a sting ray!- He had stepped on it in waist deep water (it was buried in the sand) and it flipped his stinger back and got Cody on the top of his foot. It left quite the hole. My mom had tried to tell Cody to pee on it- hehe! The life guards said it was common and gave him a heat pack to help break down the poison.)

We stayed 2 nights in Carlsbad. We spent all day Sunday at the Oceanside beach. We had a lot of fun jumping waves and working on our tans. David and Cody were quite set on finding all the kids nice, whole sea shells. After a lot of searching, one was finally found for each of them.
David and Lacy catching rays.

Cody wrote me a sand message...ahhh...
My fine babe!
Cody and I on the pier at sunset.

Sunday night, our last night there, we went out for dinner at Black Angus to celebrate mine and Lacy's Birthdays. Hers was August 31 and mine September 2. I don't eat steak, so it wasn't my first choice for a restaurant, but everyone else was excited to eat there. I was happy to see they had fettuccine alfredo, but was very disappointed- it was pretty gross! Lacy and I both got birthday brownies with candles in them. They were very good. I forgot my camera, dangit!

We got home late Monday night. It was very hard to get back into routine Tuesday. You really need a vacation to recoup from vacation!

My mom spent the week in St. George. On my birthday (the big 24!) on Tuesday she offered to watch Rylee so Cody and I could go to a movie. We went a saw The Fly Boys. It was really good. I highly recommend it! Cody and I were quite shocked when we started recognizing places in St. George where it was filmed.
Cody and I are our way out the door to the movies.
My Cheesecake Factory cheesecake at 11:00 at night! It was really good, beside the fact that it was too late at night for something so sweet!

My Mom's Birthday was on the 4th. It was nice to go out to lunch and spend time with her!
Rylee helping Grandma open her Birthday present- and tearing the card open!

11 comments:

The Morrells said...

I was thinking about you on the 2nd, but I had such a crazy busy week that I didn't even get to stop and leave you a comment to wish you a happy birthday. Anyways, I hope you had a great Birthday!!! Your california trip looks like fun. That is the same area we went to in July (Oceanside) and it is so nice and relaxing there. I totally know what you mean about needing a vacation to recover from vactaion...lol! It took me a few weeks to get things back to normal after our trip.

Lacey said...

Wow! That's crazy. I miss those days of just packing up and leaving. Cute Pictures!

Robin Sant said...

Hi Sara, what a fun trip. Happy Birthday.....Where did you get Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake around here? I love the Monkey Luv Cheescake the best. Thanks for sharing your blog.

Kim Wyatt said...

Looks like your trip was so much fun!! JEALOUS! But glad you guys had a good time! Rylee is getting so big though! I didn't know that was her hanging from the tree!

Taylors said...

Happy late birthday! I love your CA trip! I love those times when you can just drop everything and go spur of the moment, those trips are the funnest because you don't have the before hand stress of planning for the trip:)

Kim Wyatt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Stevens Family said...

Sarah! Kort's foot rub has not worked yet... It looks like you guys had an awesome weekend! Rylee is so so cute! I actually showed Kort your blog today and she loved it! We both agree that you have such a cute family!

Janell said...

Looks like your trip was way fun!! And CONGRATES!!!! I'm so excited for you guys! Now you need to talk Malinda into having another baby!

Cando said...

How fun!! I have been meaning to comment on your blog forever but I think I screwed up the link. Anyways, You look amazing. Your girl is darling, and I love keeping up on what you are up to! Yay blogging!!

Raelene said...

Ya i miss those days of coming and going as you please with no worries. I bet its so nice to have family willing to babysit all the time. Happy late birthday, you look really cute!

mommaRx said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like you guys have had some great times. Rylee is getting so big and she is as cute as ever!