Wednesday, August 26, 2009

So. Cal!

Two weeks ago the kids and I hopped in with my mom and brothers to go to Southern Cali. for a week! James and Kim met up with us too! We had soooo much fun. I can't believe how much stuff I had to pack. A HUGE thanks to my brothers for loading and unloading it all so many times for me.

Cody wasn't able to come with us. He had the archery hunt going on at the same time- he has a deer and elk tag. He got a deer the opening week! Now he's just got to try for his elk.

We drove straight into San Diego and stayed there two nights. We spent our first day at the Oceanside Beach. It was a fun beach- Rylee's favorite because there were playgrounds everywhere. Our day there was very overcast and windy though, so not the best beach day.
Rylee's first step into the ocean

She couldn't get enough!

Aunt Kimmy taught her how to catch the waves in her bucket!

Her first mouthful of salt water!



Just Chillin'


My boardin brothers!

Grandma and her kids!

Our second day was spent at SEA WORLD! Rylee had a blast. It was so fun to sit back and try to watch everything through her eyes. I think she smiled non stop. Her favorites were the starfish, dolphins and Shamu! So here's a funny story. At night, they sell these long glow sticks (remind me of light-sabers). Well Rylee sees one and wants one. I told her no, and she started throwing a fit, which made me really not want to get her one. So instead I took her into a gift shop and let her pick out a Shamu bracelet- something that would last longer and that she could use more. She was all excited and loving her bracelet, until we go to watch the Shamu show.... we walk in behind 5 little girls her age who ALL have these glow sticks. Well, Rylee goes up and tries trading with these girls! What a girl...
This look says it all- this was her alllll day!

This leash was seriously a life saver, wouldn't have made it without it.


The dolphin show- we were in like the last row of the soak zone. The dolphins barely got us wet...
Then they brought out Bubbles to Whale...

and she SOAKED us! Ryan wasn't very happy about that...

Ryan and I in the shark reef


Rylee LOVED the starfish! It was funny she was holding it and she squeezed it pretty hard. I told her she had to be careful because she probably hurt it. So, she kissed it better and then she THREW it back into the tank. Oh boy...

The next few nights we stayed at my Dad's beach house. His construction company has been doing a job in Long Beach and they have been renting a beach house and since they work Mon-Thur., the house is empty Thur- Sun, so nice, free place to stay.

On Friday we went to Huntington Beach. It was a beautiful day and had awesome waves for boogie-boarding.
Ben, my Dad and James

Ahhh, cute lovers!

Enjoying the sun, but missing my honey...

What a good baby; he seriously slept the last two days at the beach!

Walking the pier

Saturday morning, we crossed the street and went along the beach to see the tide pools (it wasn't a very good low tide, so we didn't see too much), but it was still really cool. Rylee loved hunting for hermit crabs with my dad. Later that day we went to Manhattan Beach. Another beautiful day and great beach. The waves weren't quite as nice, so it more of a veg day. Kim was in charge of pictures that day, so I don't have any- yet! (Hurry Kimmy! =) )

Checking out the hermit crabs




Sea Slug! EWWW!!

Digging with Grandpa

Rylee made friends with the squirrel. He got pretty close to us!

On Sunday, before we left to drive home we stopped to see the Korean Friendship Bell. It's huge! My mom has these pictures, so I will add them later. Spur of the moment, my mom decided to take my brothers school shopping in Vegas so we stayed in a condo there for 2 nights. We were up until all hours playing Rook and 5 crowns! All-in-all it was such a fun trip! I had so much fun with my family. My kids were so good, during the long drive and long hot days at the beach. My brothers and sister are awesome with my kids- especially Rylee; they entertain and play with her so good. I have to tell them it's okay to tell her no sometimes; and of course they don't! i.e. I swear, Adam and Ben played Old Maid with her at least 100 times at the condos in Vegas. Thanks again everyone. Love you guys!

11 comments:

Melanie and Curtis said...

How fun! California beaches are just beautiful..love the palm trees! I love the picture of baby Ryan sleeping away in the play pen. What a trooper and what a great idea!

It was good to see you again. You look amazing. You make having 2 kids look like a breeze. They are both adorable. Glad that you had such a fun trip!

Cando said...

Haha, I love the mouthful of salt water face! Yucky! Looks like you guys had so much fun. And you look amazing!

The Morrells said...

What a fun vacation Sarah! I'm glad you got to go with your kids even though Cody couldn't be there. I've been in those situations a lot and as hard as it is to be a single parent on vacation, it's always worth it! It's nice when you have your family to help you out too! Looks like you had a blast!

Chelsea said...

How great! I love it all!!!
The big Q--- How was the baby!?!?!?!?
We are supposed to go to Del Coronado Island, in like a little bit, we opted out, but was it easy? I mean, you look like you had a great time... It made me wonder if I could do it too.... Corinne is only a month younger than your little Ryan... hummmm... let me know, an honest assesment.... Although I do have 3... I dont know... let me know your thoughts!

Kim Wyatt said...

Funnest trip EVER!! I'm so glad you brought the kids out, even without Cody. We had so much fun with them!!! I'll get you pictures as soon as you ask Cody how we can fix our computer :) Hope you're having fun on your anniversary trip! Happy 5th!

Richins Family said...

Sounds like you had a great trip and lots of great helpers! It's nice to have your brothers and sisters to help! Great pictures, and I can't wait to see the other ones!

The Stevens Family said...

That sounds like an awesome trip! We did the same thing this last weekend and got some of the same pics.. lol! :) I bet its funner with family though!

Raelene said...

How is that fair that you look so great after just having a baby!!? Well I'm happy that you got to spend a fun week with the fam! I havent been on a family vacation with my parents and siblings since highschool!! I guess I should be the one to plan it hu?

The Erickson Family said...

What a blast! Im so jelous! The kids are so cute! of course! Come see me soon...and keep me posted on the scrapbooking club thing! one of these times I am really going to come!

Malinda S. said...

Looks like you had so much fun! I love Cali's beaches! Just wanted to shout out and wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY today!

Angela said...

It looks like you all had so much fun! I'm very ready to take another trip to the ocean. Last time we went (which was over a year ago) both of the girls wanted NOTHING to do with the water!

Your kids are both so adorable! I wish we lived closer so that our girls could play together more often....maybe someday. :)